- Current events
- Prez sez
- 20 Years Ago
- 20th Greetings
- Robert Park Receives Klass Award
- Skeptic on the Loose!
- Brunch at Jackie’s with James Randi
- James Randi Receives Klass Award
- Sir Isaac Newton
- From the Copy-right Office: Protecting your Elvis Sighting
Monday, December 22, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Saturday, Jan 10, 1:30 pm Public & FREE
Rebecca Goldin, Ph.D.
Statistical Assessment Service
National Science Foundation, Room 110
4201 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA
Dr. Rebecca Goldin is Director of Research for the Statistical Assessment Service (stats.org), a nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization affiliated with George Mason University. STATS’ mission is to improve the quality of scientific and statistical information in public discourse and to act as a resource for journalists and policy makers on scientific issues and controversies. STATS' work has been featured on NBC Nightly News, the News Hour with Jim Lehrer, and ABC's 20/20 - and in print by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, US News & World Report, New Scientist, New England Journal of Medicine, and many other publications.
Dr. Goldin is Associate Professor of Mathematical Sciences at George Mason University, and a member of the Science Policy Committee of the American Mathematical Society. She received her undergraduate degree from Harvard, and her PhD from MIT. She taught at University of Maryland as a National Science Foundation postdoctoral fellow before joining George Mason in 2001. In 2007 she was the first recipient of the Ruth I. Michler Memorial Prize, which honors outstanding young women in the field of mathematics.
* NSF is one block south of the Ballston-Marymount University metro stop on the Orange Line. For most drivers the easiest route is to exit Route 66 onto Fairfax Dr. eastbound to N. Stuart Street. Enter the NSF building at the corner of N. Stuart Street and 9th St. N. Parking is available in the Ballston Common mall, in the NSF building, and at other area parking lots and garages. Metered parking is also available on the surrounding streets. (Map)